Next: About this document ...
ESC 251 HW 26 Due: Nov. 13
- (10 pts) It can be proved mathematically that
absolute error for Simpson's rule is bounded by
Write a short technical report that verifies this error bound for the
An outline of this process is as follows:
You can write any equations by hand if you like provided that they are
- Assume the desired absolute error is 10-6.
- Determine the value of n necessary to achieve this
error. Note that you need the smallest value for n that
- Determine the corresponding value for h once the required
n is known.
- Create a table of |f''''(x)| and use this to estimate the
maximum value of |f''''(x)| over the range of integration.
- Compute the right side of the error inequality.
- Verify that the quantity you computed in step e) is greater
than the absolute error for your integral approximation.